- Are you looking to work with great technology in a fast-paced and friendly environment?
- Are you looking for the opportunity to work on projects at Harvard University that would look great on your resume?
- Are you looking for a job that is within walking distance of campus?
If so, please consider joining the User Services team at the Harvard School of Public Health!
Duties and Responsibilities:
User support interns work as part of a versatile team of 10 staff members that provide front-line computer and audio-visual support for a community of 3000 faculty, staff, and students at Harvard University’s School of Public Health. Support is done by phone, in person, via email or by utilizing remote technologies. Support assistants regularly cover the User Services Help Desk as well as work in the field across campus (20+ locations in Boston and Cambridge).
Interns will have an opportunity to experience work in many areas of a busy IT group including desktop and media services support, student computing, server and network administration, and web and application development.
- diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues,
- research questions using available information resources,
- identify and escalate situations requiring urgent attention,
- setup PCs/MACs and printers at client’s offices and in student computer laboratories
- maintain and service computers and technology in auditoria, classrooms and conference rooms
- provide media services assistance in classrooms for faculty and teaching assistants
- capture courses using web streaming technology in a central control room
- work with system and network administrators on account, firewall, disk quota and other issues
- create documentation for internal and community use
- work on special projects as part of project teams (i.e., rollout of disk encryption software to all laptops at HSPH or departmental contingency planning for courses effected by an outbreak of H1N1 virus)
- attend weekly staff meetings and other meetings
Interns will gain experience in:
- Customer service skills
- Teamwork and communication skills
- PC and MAC OS troubleshooting
- Hardware troubleshooting
- Business and communications software (Groupwise, Outlook, MS Office, all major web browsers, SSH/SFTP clients)
- IT troubleshooting and repair software: (MacAfee virus scanning, malware removal tooks, other scanning software, desktop backup software, network tools)
- Blackberry and iPhone setup and troubleshooting
- Video and web conferencing tools
- Classroom technology (document cameras, tablet PCs, room controls, microphones)
- Web streaming and course capture
- Web productivity tools (i.e., wikis, blogs, courseware, Wordpress CMS)
- Keen interest in technology and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Strong customer service/people skills including excellent phone manner and strong writing skills
- Information technology, computer science or engineering degrees perferred
- Familiar with Microsoft OS and MAC OS
- Familiar with a variety of applications including Microsoft Office, web browsers, and other internet tools.
- Some computer programming experience helpful.
- This position reports directly to helpdesk group leader and media services group leader, Christopher Cahill.
- You will also have opportunities to meet with the Chief for Information Technology and Assistant Director of Information Technology for further career exploration in IT.
- Our office hours are 8 am to 6 pm. An internship schedule during these hours will be created for candidates. We have the highest demand for morning hours.
- HSPH is a business casual work environment.
- Several interns in other programs in the past have been placed at Harvard University in permanent positions after graduation.
For additional information, contact:
Career Development Center
Academic Building 3, Room 207
Roxbury Community College
1234 Columbus Avenue
Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120