What can I do with this degree?
- Speech therapist
- Linguist Professor
- English teacher
- Manual Writer
- Elementary Teacher
- Technical Writer
- Translation Editor
- Journalist (Print or TV)
EDUCATION AND THERAPY
Teaching, speech therapy, research.
- School districts
- Private and public universities and colleges
- Private therapy practices
- For teaching, obtain a teaching credential
- For university/college teaching you must have a masters degree or PhD
- Therapy requires additional intern hours and staying up-to-date with new therapy methods
- Attend speech therapy conferences and workshops
- Network through department contacts and at conferences.
Technical writing, editing, newspaper writing.
Product companies that need technical writers in the field of technology, science and medicine. For media journalism, many employers include local and national television stations and print journalism offices.
- For technical writing, try taking additional courses in this field and obtain a certification
- For television reporting, you must submit a demo tape
- For print journalism, having a portfolio of work and interning are excellent ways to get your foot in the door.
Legal writing and researching, policy writing, speech writing.
- Private and public law firms
- Non-profit groups
- Lobby groups
- campaign offices
- Obtain a J.D from an ABA accredited law school and pass the Bar Exam
- Intern in local or national political offices
- Pursuing a certification as a paralegal is an option iif you are not interested in a law degree.
STUDENTS CLUBS, ORGANIZATIONS AND RESOURCES
Prepared by the Career Planning staff of Career Services at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. (2007)
UTK is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA Employer