Student Government Association (SGA)
“RCC Should be a Better Place Because YOU Are Here” Click here for SGA application
What is the Student Government Association (SGA)?
The Roxbury Community College “Student Government Association” (SGA) serves as the official student voice to the RCC Administration, the Board of Trustees, and the Massachusetts Board of Community Colleges. The mission of SGA is to earnestly represent the interests of students and increase student engagement by focusing their efforts on creating and continuing viable and effective student services, preserving and protecting RCC, and supporting students and student organizations in their academic and community endeavors. To this end, new leaders are elected from and by the general student populace each fall semester. SGA members serve on all college governance committees to guarantee active representation of student interests and concerns.
In order to qualify for an elected position, a student must:
- Be in good academic standing.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 and have completed at least 2 semesters at RCC (for the offices of President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Student Trustee) OR have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 for all other representative positions.
- Be enrolled full-time (12 or more credits) at the time of the election.
What is the purpose of the SGA:
The purpose of the SGA is to
- Encourage and promote the participation of students in academic, cultural, and recreational activities.
- Promote and carry out student activity programs that will best serve the interest of the College.
- Provide leadership among the clubs and organizations on campus.
- Provide opportunities for dialogue among students, faculty, and administration.
How many members are elected to the Student Government Association?
There are a total of 12 members:
- Vice President
- Student Trustee
- 7 Representatives
What are the benefits of being an SGA member?
As a member of the Student Government Association you:
- Will be chosen to participate in one of the College-wide standing committees.
- May choose to become a member of the Program Committee to help plan student events.
- Can participate in Student Activities sponsored lectures, seminars, fundraisers, and other entertainment events.
For more information about becoming involved in the SGA, please contact:
Office of Student Life and Student Engagement
Academic Building, Room 353
Tel: (617) 541-5332