Roxbury Community College Moves to
In July 2002, Roxbury Community College joined the UMassOnline e-learning consortium.
At that time, IntraLearn was the CMS of choice. It was a good decision for RCC to join at the time because it
allowed us to share the cost and resources required to buy and manage an e-learning infrastructure,
therefore freeing some of the resources for faculty development.
In 2004, UMassOnline moved to Blackboard Vista (formally WebCT) but RCC stayed with IntraLearn and UMassOnline committed
to support RCC until June 2007.
In Spring 2007, the CMS Selection Committee recommended RCC adopt Moodle as its next CMS.
Moodle has many advantages over Blackboard Vista. They include:
- Easy of use (for both staff and students); courses can be developed and updated much easier than in Bb Vista
- More powerful and flexible features not in Bb Vista including learning journals, blogs and wiki
- Greater flexibility over courses organization: by week (most common option), topic or discussion board
- Greater control and flexibility over course access
- More flexible discussion tools
Blackboard vs. Moodle: A Comparison
of Satisfaction with Online Teaching and Learning Tools (2005)
Visit this page often to find out about the new programs and initiatives related to online education.