College Placement Testing is being offered remotely by appointments only. Students wanting to take the Placement Test will need to register by clicked on the blue button below.
In order to test remotely, student will need a laptop or desktop with a mic and camera. (Phones, tablets or ipads will not work)
What is the College Placement Test?
It is a series of tests required for most new students. The tests assess your readiness for college-level English, mathematics, and science courses. You cannot pass or fail these tests. The test scores determine at which level (pre-college or college) the student may begin taking classes. Non-degree and dual-enrollment students are also required to take the Placement Tests, unless they meet one of the exemptions in the section below.
Placement Test Exemptions
The following options may excuse you from part or all of the Placement Tests.
If you have taken college-level math, English, or science courses at another school and earned a grade of C or higher, you do not need to take the Placement Test in that area. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Enrollment Center.
HIGH SCHOOL GPA
- If you have graduated from high school, the Massachusetts Common Assessment Policy allows placement into math and English courses based on high school GPA.
- For Math Placement: Students who have graduated within the past three years with a math GPA of 2.7 or higher are eligible to enroll in college level math courses, determined by major.
- For English Placement: Students who have graduated within the past 10 years with an English GPA of 2.7 or higher are eligible for English 101.
- Official high school transcripts must be submitted to the Enrollment Center.
AP and CLEP CREDIT
RCC awards credit for a number of Advanced Placement (AP) and CLEP exams. Visit our CLEP/AP page for more information.
GED COLLEGE READY
Students who have earned GED scores of 165 or higher within the past three years are eligible for placement into college level courses.
|GED TEST||RCC COURSE PLACEMENT|
|GED Mathematical Reasoning||College Level Math|
|GED Reasoning Through Language Arts||English 101|
|GED Science||College Level Science|
To order an official copy, go to www.diplomasender.com.
Digital copies from Diploma Sender are accepted.
GED scores must be less than 3 years old to be used for placement. If your GED scores are more than 3 years old, you will be required to take the College Placement Tests.
NOTE: If you passed your GED at RCC in 2019 or later, you do not have to order a copy through Diploma Sender. Please contact the Testing Department: firstname.lastname@example.org to have your GED scores transferred in to RCC.
What if I tested at another college?
- We accept Accuplacer scores from other institutions if they are less than 3 years old, and if they are the same tests we use at RCC to determine course placement.
- Students can retrieve copies of their results directly from Accuplacer by using this link.
- Score reports can be emailed to the RCC Testing Department at email@example.com.
- We will verify all scores with the institution that administered the tests.
- Students who transfer scores may still have to take some additional test sections at RCC.
How many times can a student take the test?
August 2017: Students may take any section of the Placement Test up to 3 times in 12 months. Students seeking additional retakes must submit a petition to the Coordinator of Student Assessment for review by a Dean or Vice President. Click here to access the Petition for Additional Retests.
RCC Placement Test Study Resources
- Placement Test Rubrics
- RCC Placement Testing 2019 - English
- RCC Placement Testing 2019 - ESOL
- RCC Placement Testing 2019 - Math
- RCC Placement Testing 2019 - Science
- Study Guides and Links
For Students Needing Accommodations
Students who have college-level documentation of a disability should visit Student Accessibility Services page for information on applying for test accommodations.
Copies of Placement Results
Accuplacer retains records for up to 3 years. If you would like a copy of your placement test results sent to you, to another person, or to another school, you must submit an Accuplacer Score Request form. There is no fee for these reports but we must receive the signed request from the test taker.
Accuplacer Testing for Non-RCC Students
Students of other institutions who need to take an Accuplacer test may do so at RCC. The fee for testing non-RCC students is $28.50. The fee must be paid online at the time the appointment is scheduled. To schedule an appointment, visit our registration page. For Exam Group, choose College Placement. For Exam, select the last option: NON-RCC STUDENT ONLY—ACCUPLACER TESTING.
Your results will be issued to you when you complete your exams, and can be forwarded to your school if you provide the specific email, mailing address, or fax number. You will need to fill out an Accuplacer Score Request form and submit it when you check in for testing.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions prior to registration.
Questions? Need Help?
Department of Testing & Assessment
Building 3, Room 217
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files.
TTY/TDD users: Massachusetts Relay Service or dial 711